Protests and Appeals

The How-To and FAQ page has become the Protests and Appeals page. Information from the FAQ can now be found in the I Want To... page. Information on Records Requests has been moved to the Open Government page.

Appeals Process Back to top

Appeals process graphic

Property owners have the right to appeal to the Appraisal Review Board (ARB) any actions taken by EPCAD concerning their property tax appraisals at no cost. Typically, these actions would be concerning the value of the property, exemptions, taxable status and ownership issues. However, any action taken by EPCAD applies to or adversely impacts your property may be protested. After you file a Notice of Protest by mail, or in person, you will receive an appointment letter that will include information on how to prepare your case and guidelines for submitting evidence.

You may wish to discuss your issues with one of our trained staff when you arrive for your appointment. If you are still unable to resolve the matter in this informal hearing with the CAD staff, you may have your case heard by the ARB. The ARB is an independent board of citizens that reviews appraisals and other issues. They will hear your evidence and the evidence from EPCAD and make a ruling in the form of a Board Order sent by certified mail.

The Order will include the information about your right to appeal the decision if you are still not satisfied with the decision. You may appeal by completing a Request for Binding Arbitration and enclose a check for $500 payable to the Comptroller of Public Accounts. This will be refunded to you less $50 if your position is upheld by the arbitrator. Another option is to file suit in district court or in certain cases to the State Office of Administrative Hearings (SOAH).

Protests Back to top

Protests graphic

Filing a Protest and General Information

Texas Comptroller How to Protest For Homeowners Video

If you wish to appeal the appraised value of your property, you must file a Notice of Protest within the time allotted. The deadline to file is May 31st or 30 days from the date on your Notice of Appraised Value.

You may file your protest electronically, the appeal must be based on the property’s appraised value. You will need the instructions and the PIN enclosed with your Notice. Any protest that is filed online will receive all of the communications from the appraisal district via email.

You may also file a protest by mail or in person by completing the Notice of Protest attached to your Notice of Appraised Value. This form may include disputes for non-value topics.

File a protest

Online Protest

Current Hearings Schedule

The hearings schedule document will be updated daily at 6AM while hearings are actively being held. Please check back after this time to find an updated version of the document.

Download Hearings Schedule

Business Personal Property Back to top

Renditions graphic

What is business personal property?

Business Personal Property (BPP) is tangible personal property that is used by a business for the production of income. Some of the most common types of BPP include furniture, fixtures, machinery, equipment, computers, electronic equipment, vehicles and inventory. As mandated by the Texas Property Tax Code, all business owners must file a BPP rendition each year that includes all assets used for the production of income in their possession or under their control as of January 1.

Renditions Back to top

What is a Rendition?

A rendition is a confidential report that lists business personal property (BPP) assets that are used for the production of income. Each year in early January, as a courtesy to property owners, the El Paso Central Appraisal District (CAD) mails a rendition form to most businesses. The rendition must be submitted to the CAD by April 15. However, on written request the deadline will be extended to May 15. Failure to file the rendition on time will result in a ten percent penalty that will be applied to your total tax amount. Note that you must render each year, rendering your business personal property is not a one time thing. Please mail, fax or submit your completed rendition report by the applicable deadline. General instructions for submitting electronically follow.

Submit a rendition online

Submit a rendition

Exemptions Back to top

Exemptions graphic

An exemption reduces the taxable value of a property. The reduction can be partial either a percentage or a dollar value and some are full exemptions as with religious or charitable organizations. Some exemptions are mandated by law to certain taxing entities while others are optional. Some taxing entities are not required to offer any exemptions.

The homestead application for home owners, disabled persons, the over 65 years and 100% disabled veterans and the surviving spouses must only be applied for once a property ownera qualifies for the exemption. The disabled veteran’s application is a different form and also a one-time application but the level of disability must be updated annually.

Other exemptions must be applied for annually. The EPCAD sends a reminder notice to property owners who previously had an exemption or if a residential property has changed ownership. EPCAD maintains a list of the different taxing entities and the exemptions offered here.

If you are not sure which form to complete, by all means contact our office at (915) 780-2131.

Disabled Veterans Information

For information regarding Disabled Veteran's exemptions, click here.

Website last updated on: 3/14/2017 3:41:44 PM MDT (UTC -6:00)